Saturday, August 10, 2013

Professional Development and Prom!

The first day back to school has come and gone, for the teachers.  As usual it was full of excitement and meetings.  I was really excited to get to see everybody again after the summer, though there were some faces that were missing due to retirements.  There were also a lot of new faces this year.  In my small department of 8 people, we have 3 new teachers and 1 opening still.  It was so great to be able to talk to all of the new teachers and be able to show them the ropes.  It was so amazing to be able to tell someone else what to expect and to know for myself what I would be doing.

There was one big surprise for me this year though.  During our building meeting, our principle was asking who wanted to sponsor the various clubs and activities in the building.  A coworker and I had been talking about asking to be junior class sponsors this year, so we volunteered for that spot.  We didn't quite realize, until afterwards, that we would now be planning prom.  It's going to be lots of fun, lots of work, and a new experience for both of us.  The reactions from different teachers was either, 'you're gonna regret this' or 'I had so much fun planning prom!  What questions do you have?'  I definitely spent a fair amount of time picking people's brains about prom ideas and what we needed to do.  We still don't know if we have any money to get ourselves started, but we're going to start doing fundraisers so that we can have the money that we need as the time gets closer.  If anybody has any ideas on prom themes that they would like to share, I would love it!  Someone suggested a glow in the dark theme, which sounds pretty cool to me, but might be lame.  I know that people thought the prom last year was lame, so we have a lot of make up for from last year, apparently.  One way that we are going to raise money is through a halloween carnival for all the little kids in our district.  We have to come up with a booth idea for that that will make money as well.  In general, I think this is going to be a great year, but now this is seeming slightly stressful, jumping into the unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment