Thursday, August 8, 2013

Getting Ready for the New School Year

I'm getting ready to start my second year of teaching and I'm so excited!

This year, I got to move classrooms and my new room is 4 times the size of my room from last year!  I also have a connecting door to Carrie's classroom, my best friend at school.  It also means that when we have issues with students and need to step out, we will be able to help cover each others classes easily.

I've spent the last week getting my room ready, and while it's not quite ready yet, I'm really excited!  I created 5 groups of 3 desks so that my students can work together.  No matter how I set up the room, I know that they are going to work together and talk, so I figured that I configure it so that they can work together on my terms.  This will also allow my higher readers to be able to help my lower reading students.  This should help to make assignments easier to handle for all of my students.


This is the general setup of my room.  I'm really hoping that this works out well.  I probably won't ever have more than 10 students in a class period.  However, laws have changed and I can now have upwards of 15 students in a class period.  Thankfully, I don't ever get close to 10, so I shouldn't have to worry about it.  I do want to be prepared just in case I do get more students at some point.

For the first time ever, I've had to put together bulletin boards.  I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do, but I browsed around on pinterest and decided to use fabric as a background.  One board is my word wall board and the other is my rules board.  They look pretty good right now.  We'll see how they look after the students have been around them for awhile.  High schoolers sure do like to write all over anything they can find.


I have one thing that I want to make for my classroom, but I haven't had time yet.  That would be a phone prison so that if I see a phone out, it goes into prison.  Here's a picture that I found of one that looks similar to what I want to make.


No comments:

Post a Comment